Wednesday, July 25, 2012

FRP tax: Impact on the Cottage Inn, Mills River

Public comment presented at the July 18 Henderson County Board of Commissioners meeting, from Cory Fletcher (read it all):


Dear Commissioners,
I recently read the article in our local newspaper about raising our occupancy taxes in Henderson County from 5% to 6% and then giving that additional 1% to the Flat Rock Playhouse. I am outraged to say the least over this proposal.

This tax increase is unfair and extremely burdensome in so many ways! I am a very small business owner and trying very hard to build my business. To add one more tax burden on me is truly awful and will disable me greatly, if not shut me down. I cannot afford for possible future guests to choose to stay in another County in the area where their taxes would be less. That would run me out of business. Then the absurd proposal to give that additional tax to the Playhouse to help them out, is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard of. Sending guests to another county where they pay lower taxes for accommodations and “hoping” they go to the Flat Rock Playhouse so they can generate an income, will be detrimental to Henderson County’s tax revenue because your lodging industry was taxes out of business. As a lodging industry we would not support the Flat Rock Playhouse with advertisements in our establishments. Taking money away from the lodging industry in Henderson County through increased taxes to benefit one business is a grave error in my opinion.

I urge you to do all you can to stop this lunacy. Please vote No on this proposal. I join with all the other Lodging Businesses in this county and oppose this tax increase. Henderson County needs to protect its small business owners, not disable them. I also want you to know I will remember your vote on Wednesday, July 18, 2012, either FOR the lodging businesses in Henderson County and how you supported us, or how you sold us down the river for whatever political objectives you have to help the Flat Rock Playhouse at our expense.

Sincerely,
Cory Fletcher
Owner of Cottage Inn Mills River

No comments:

Post a Comment