Wednesday, February 20, 2013

What do I think?

Several people have asked me my thoughts on the possible village purchase of the Highland Lake Golf Club and park development. Here's what I think (in fairly random order) at this moment:
  • I haven't reached any decision yet on whether or not I support the property purchase and park development for one primary reason: I want to hear all of the information that will be discussed at the upcoming council meetings.
  • I think the golf club location is a highly visible entrance into the village of Flat Rock that helps set the "look and feel" of the village and for that reason alone, the village council needs to give serious consideration to keeping it pastoral.
  • The Henderson County option-to-buy contract of $1.15 million back in 2011 was way too high, in my opinion. Now, almost two years (and no buyers) later, it seems to me that the purchase price should be significantly lower.
  • I have a vested interest in wanting to see the area remain green space since I live very close by, so I'm definitely not a disinterested observer. 
  • The village council has created and maintained a very open, transparent process for making this decision (I should know--I made it to most of the Park Exploratory Committee meetings). They have heard pros and cons on this issue and are currently trying to get a more complete handle on costs, especially on-going maintenance costs. To my mind, this is how government should work. Whatever decision they end up making, I am confident they will have acted in what they consider the best interest of the village.
  • Everyone has their own ideas about what government should be involved in. I think there is a role, especially at the local level, for elected officials to consider quality-of-life issues for their communities, and for me, parks fit into that quality-of-life category. 
So, bottom line, no final decision yet, but I'll keep you posted.

2 comments:

  1. Annie,
    Your insights are spot on!
    Thank you for voicing your opinion which represents how many of us feel.
    Respectfully,
    Flat Rocker

    ReplyDelete
  2. we seem to skirt a issue here like light at night, tennis courts were mentioned which would put us at square one again no futher down the road if they want a park that would be the best of all i for one would like to keep it a golf course it can be run by volunteers let the play for free. if a park is there it needs to be a dusk to dawn only park no lights ect and i cant imagine the residents who live on the golf course wanting all that potental traffic at night in there back yards

    ReplyDelete